Congratulations to the entire Park Hyatt Ningbo team for winning a design award at the 2013 AIA Honolulu Design Awards Gala held at the Hawaii Prince Hotel. Park Hyatt Ningbo won an award of merit, and was the only hospitality project to win an award this year.
Each winner presented their project in a compressed Pecha Kucha style (15 slides, 15 seconds per slide). George Berean and Ruoyun Sun accepted the award on behalf of WATG, and presented the project (A copy of the presentation can be viewed here).
Some notable facts about the project:
• The site is organized as a traditional Chinese water village, to blend discretely into the surrounding vista. The natural landscape surrounding the resort sets the stage for the guests' arrival.
• Dong Qian Lake is the largest freshwater lake in Zhejiang province and one of the most scenic area in the region. Lakefront gardens and rooms oriented toward the lake takes advantage of spectacular views.
• The use of courtyards serves as a point of transition from one area to another and as a place for social gatherings, and focuses on traditional Chinese gardens with a modern twist.
• The resort is formed by traditional cultural elements, refined and contemporized in an interpretation of Southern China style with the gently sloping roof and exposed wood beams.
• With interior decorations and strategically located fireplaces, great care has been taken to maintain a seamless definition between the exterior and interior components.
• Traditional materials, stone, stucco, slate, and gray roof tiles were used extensively as permanent materials.
• An ancient family home has been restored to its original architecture and converted into a Tea House located in the center of the hotel property.
• The 700-year-old red temple has been restored and converted to a restaurant/bar and entertainment venue, blending seamlessly into the property.
• Existing stones, sculptures and Chinese ornaments was salvaged and reused.
07.14.15 / Architecture Blog: Pete Re-Petes a Story About Pete
07.06.15 / Architecture Blog: Employee Ownership Day #EODay
06.30.15 / Architecture Blog: The Great Architectural Bake-Off
06.26.15 / Architecture Blog: WATG to Celebrate London Festival of Architecture
07.09.13 / Master Planning Blog: WATG at the Esri International User Conference
07.03.13 / WATG's London Festival of Architecture event a success!
06.25.13 / Architecture Blog: ISCN Conference 2013
06.18.13 / WATG's London Festival of Architecture event